This week we are continuing to learn the steps of the scientific method. We are performing an experiment and will use it to establish the concepts of developing a hypothesis, identifying the independent and dependent variable and the control. Expect a test the beginning of next week. Below is a link to the GCCS Science Fair. https://sites.google.com/powerscatholic.org/gccssciencefair/grades-6-8?authuser=0
8th Grade News
Monday, Sept. 24: In Social Studies notes will be taken over the Southeast Woodland Indians. In Religion, the study review guide is due.
Tuesday, Sept. 25: In Social Studies, notes will be over the Southwest Indians. In Religion, the test over the Writers of the New Testament will be today.
Wednesday, Sept. 26: In Religion, notes will be given over the Rosary.
Thursday, Sept. 27: In Religion, notes will continue over the Rosary.
Friday, Sept. 28: An open note test will be given over Native Americas of North America.
and Religion service sheets are as follows:
1st quarter: Monday, October 22
2nd quarter: Monday, January 14
3rd quarter: Monday, March 18
We will continue the unit on narrative poetry. Students will do the following:
- Participate in a turn & talk moment, choosing favorite poems to report to the whole group, and explaining feelings they experienced during the reading
- See that poems' topics come from all sorts of occasions
1. Students will make a list of ordinary things, people, places, etc. that could be topics of poetry (will need at least 20 in their list).
2. Start a poem in the same style as Ronald Wallace (who we will study in class)
Bell Ringer Journal
Journals will be collected and graded on Monday, Sept. 24.
This week students will learn about subjects in unusual order and subject complements. Below is a guideline for the week:
Tuesday (9/25): Quizzer: Kinds of Sentences, Review subjects in unusual order, complete practice in class
Thursday (9/27): Quizzer: Subjects in Unusual Order, Review subject complements, complete practice in class
Students should not have homework.
- The 1-page paper on the virtue of the month (affability) is DUE: September 28. This may be handwritten or typed.
- The America & Me Essay Contest permission card is DUE: Monday, Sept. 24.
We will be continuing on this week learning the scientific method and how to write a hypothesis.
Students should begin looking for a science fair experiment. The science fair is at the end of January.
This week students will study unit 4: Words from Names (p.30-31). Definitions and p. 31 are both due on Friday, Sept. 28. The unit 4 test will be on Friday, Sept. 28.