This week we will continue reviewing measurement, the scientific method, graph making, and what scientific reports look like. We are looking at a quiz coming up most likely on Friday.
8th Grade News
On Monday, we will finish reading and annotating the short story Flowers for Algernon. We will spend time in class on Tuesday reviewing this story. There will be a quiz over Flowers for Algernon on Wednesday (9/18).
On Thursday, we will begin reading and discussing the story Ransom of Red Chief. Students will receive a copy of this story in a packet. All of their work will be completed in their packet.
We will continue studying chapter 1: The Sentence and Its Parts. This week students will do the following:
- Identify and use compound subjects and compound verbs in writing
- Identify and use different types of sentences in writing
The draft for the America & Me essay is DUE: Monday, Sept. 16.
We will begin a unit on narrative writing. This week students will do the following:
- Define what a narrative poem is
- Identify the structure of narrative poetry
- Determine a narrative poem's topic
- Discover how people express themselves through poetry
- Explore various narrative poems (will be provided)
- Make a list in their notebook of connections made with the poems read in class
This week we will be studying unit 3: Latin Prefixes I (p. 24-25). Page 25 (#1-25) is DUE: Friday, Sept. 20.
Unit 23 Test: Friday, Sept. 20.
Extra Credit: Students may write the definition to each basic word (20 basic words = 20 definitions) for extra credit. This assignment is DUE: Friday, Sept. 20 prior to taking their test.
This week we will continue looking at what Europe and North America looked like before Columbus as well as discussing early explorers. We will also look at what lands food are native to and how that has impacted history.